Huskers Halted by Hoosiers
Lincoln, Neb. -- The Nebraska men's tennis team was defeated by Indiana 4-3. The Huskers fall to 10-12 on the season and 0-9 in Big Ten play.
In doubles play, in the No. 1 position, Toby Boyer and Linus Erhart fell to Bennett Crane and Keivon Tabrizi 6-2. In the No. 3 spot, freshmen duo Isaac Nortey and William Grattan-Smith were defeated by Antonio Cembellin and Afonso Salgado 6-3 to seal the doubles point for the Hoosiers. Micah Klousia and Dylan Bednarczyk went unfinished.
In singles play, Grattan-Smith fell to Zac Brodney 6-3, 6-2 in the No. 5 spot. Klousia was bested by Crane in the No. 4 spot 6-2, 6-4. Erhart defeated Cembellin 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 to get the Huskers their first point. Chris Dean was quick behind Erhart defeating his opponent Andrew Redding 6-4, 6-6 (7-4) in the No. 6 spot. Bednarczyk was defeated in three sets by Tabrizi to seal the win for Indiana 2-6, 6-4, 0-6. In the No. 1 spot, Boyer rounded out singles with a win over Raheel Manji 5-7, 7-5, 6-2.
The Huskers will host their final home match of the season in a non-conference match against Drake on Wednesday, April 18 at 4 p.m. (Central). The team will then hit the road to take on Michigan State on Saturday, April 21 at Noon (Central) and Michigan on Sunday, April 22 at Noon (Central) to finish up the season before heading to Iowa City, Iowa for the Big Ten Tournament starting on April 26.
1. Crane/ Tabrizi (IU) def. Boyer/ Erhart (NEB) 6-2
2. Bednarczyk/ Klousia (NEB) vs. Cambellin/ Salgado Unfinished
3. Menji/ Brodney (IU) def. Nortey/ Grattan-Smith (NEB) 6-3
Order of Finish: 1,3
1. Toby Boyer (NEB) def. Raheel Manji (IU) 5-7, 7-5, 6-2
2. Linus Erhart (NEB) def. Antonio Cembellin (IU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
3. Keivon Tabrizi (IU) def. Dylan Bednarczyk (NEB) 6-2, 4-6, 6-0
4. Bennett Crane (IU) def. Micah Klousia (NEB) 6-2, 6-4
5. Zac Brodney (IU) def. William Grattan-Smith (NEB) 6-3, 6-2
6. Chris Dean (NEB) def. Andrew Redding (IU) 6-4, 6-6 (7-4)
Order of Finish: 5,4,2,6,3,1