Eight Huskers Named Big Ten Distinguished Scholars
Eight members of the Nebraska cross country team earned Big Ten Distinguished Scholar awards when the conference office announced its highest scholastic honor roll on Tuesday.
A total of five women and three men from NU's cross country program were honored. The list includes student-athletes from all 14 Big Ten institutions and 38 different sports who have recorded a minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.7 or higher for the previous academic year.
The full list of Big Ten Distinguished Scholars from the Nebraska cross country team is below.
Big Ten Faculty Representatives established the Distinguished Scholar Award in 2008 to supplement the Academic All-Big Ten program. Similar to the Academic All-Big Ten honor, Distinguished Scholar Award recipients must be letterwinners in at least their second academic year at their institution. However, the Distinguished Scholar Award encompasses only students with a minimum GPA of 3.7 or higher for the previous academic year, excluding summer school. The Academic All-Big Ten threshold is a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher for a student's academic career.
*Year listed represents academic standing for 2017-18 academic year
Nebraska Cross Country 2017-18 Big Ten Distinguished Scholars (8)
- Rachel Brush, So., Waukee, Iowa, Elementary Education
- Ashleigh Carr, Jr., Oakland, Nebraska, Family & Consumer Science Education
- Kendall Cast, Sr., Aurora, Illinois, Chemical Engineering
- Elsa Forsberg, So., Lincoln, Nebraska, Fisheries & Wildlife
- Rebecca Moore, Jr., Shorewood, Minnesota, Food Science & Technology
- Jordan De Spong, So., Dunedin, New Zealand, Accounting/Management
- Mark Freyhof, So., Hamilton, Michigan, Agricultural Engineering
- Wyatt McGuire, Sr., North Platte, Nebraska, Elementary Education