Memorial Stadium Hosts Special Dedication
In commemoration of the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day, two plaques were created and installed at Memorial Stadium. The plaques replicated the original design and location of two plaques planned in 1923 for Memorial Stadium, which was built to honor all Nebraskans who have served our country. The two new plaques will be dedicated at 7:45 a.m. on Sunday, November 11 at gate 20 in the east concourse of Memorial Stadium.
Guest speakers at the dedication include:
Lieutenant Colonel Robert Schafer, University of Nebraska Board of Regents Chairman
Ronnie Green, University of Nebraska–Lincoln Chancellor
Major General Daryl Bohac, Adjutant General of Nebraska
Bill Moos, University of Nebraska Director of Athletics
University of Nebraska Naval ROTC Detachment Color Guard will present the colors and the UNL Pershing Rifles will perform at the dedication ceremony.
One plaque recognizes the service of all Nebraskans in the First World War, featuring John J. Pershing, whose military career included an assignment with the University of Nebraska Military Department (1891-1895). The second plaque recognizes the 113 University of Nebraska students and alumni who served in WWI.
The second plaque recognizes the 113 University of Nebraska students and alumni who served in WWI.
Ten Husker letterwinners served in WWI, including five football letterwinners: John Graham Cook (1915-16-17, QB, Beatrice, Neb.), Paul Halbersleben (1915, C, Lincoln, Neb.), William Henry Hayward (1894-97, T), Harold Edwin McGlasson (1919-21, QB, Lincoln, Neb.) and Roscoe Bryan Rhodes (1916-17, E, Creighton, Neb.); three track and field student-athletes James Howard Boggs (1912-13), William Lloyd Davis (1905-08) and George Worthington Irwin (1914-15-16) and one each from the men’s tennis Harry Hiram Ellis (1916) and men’s baseball Morris Nathan Liebmann (1898) programs.
Roscoe “Dusty” Rhodes was named a team captain in 1917 for the 1918 season, but died while serving his country, which prompted students to suggest that the stadium be named after him. However, in order to honor all those who served in all of our nation’s wars, the football stadium was dedicated “Memorial Stadium” on Oct. 20, 1923. On the Northeast corner of the original Memorial Stadium, these words are inscribed: “THEIR LIVES THEY HELD THEIR COUNTRY’S TRUST; THEY KEPT ITS FAITH; THEY DIED ITS HEROES.”