Nebraska Falls Short at No. 10 Baylor, 4-0
Waco, Texas -- After a two-win streak last week with upsets over Northern Colorado and UMKC, the Nebraska men's tennis team (3-4, 0-0 Big Ten) dropped a hard-fought match to No. 10 Baylor (8-0, 0-0 Big 12), 4-0, on Sunday morning at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center.
The Huskers get back in action this weekend with three matches at the Dillon Tennis Center. The Huskers will play Denver on Saturday, Feb. 9 at Noon CT, before a rivalry doubleheader with matches vs. Omaha and Creighton on Sunday, Feb. 10 at Noon and 5 p.m. CT, respectively.
Junior Micah Klousia and freshman Victor Moreno Lozano fell short to the third-best doubles team in the nation, Jimmy Bendeck/Sven Lah, 6-0 at No. 1 doubles to start off the match. Adrian Boitan and Matias Soto earned the doubles point for the Bears after a 6-1 win over seniors Toby Boyer and Jon Meyer at the No. 3 position.
In singles play, sophomore Isaac Nortey lost a 6-2, 6-1 contest to Jimmy Bendeck at No. 6 before Victor Moreno Lozano fell short to No. 17 Will Little, 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 3 spot. Sven Lah closed out the 4-0 Baylor victory with a 6-3, 7-5 win over freshman William Gleason at No. 4.
Boyer won the first set against No. 33 Johannes Schretter at No. 1 while Klousia and Chris Dean held second-set leads at No. 2 and No. 5 before the match was called.
1. #33 Johannes Schretter (BU) vs. Toby Boyer (NU) 3-6, 6-2, 3-2, unfinished
2. Matias Soto (BU) vs. Micah Klousia (NU) 7-6 (7-3), 0-2, unfinished
3. #17 Will Little (BU) def. Victor Moreno Lozano (NU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Sven Lah (BU) def. William Gleason (NU) 6-3, 7-5
5. Adrian Boitan (BU) vs. Chris Dean (NU) 6-3, 3-4, unfinished
6. Jimmy Bendeck (BU) def. Isaac Nortey (NU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (6,3,4)