· Drafted in 3rd Round by the Oakland Raiders
· 1975 First-Team All-American (AP, UPI, Football Writers, Football News, AFC-Kodak, Walter Camp)
· 1975 First-Team Academic All-American
· 1975 First-Team All-Big 8 (AP, UPI)
· 1975 First-Team All-Big 8 Academic
· 1974 First-Team All-American (AP)
· 1974 Second-Team All-American (Football News)
· 1974 First-Team All-Big 8 (AP, UPI)
One of the greatest centers to play at Nebraska. Rik was a two-time First-Team All-American (1974-75), only the seventh player in Husker history ever to accomplish that feat ( Ed Weir, Wayne Meylan, Rich Glover, Johnny Rodgers, Willie Harper and Daryl White). Rik was also a First-Team All-Big 8 pick in ’74 and ’75. Rik was a three-year starter and letterman who was also a Academic All-American in 1975.
Twice was voted by Husker teammates as Nebraska’s “Weightlifter of the Year”. Coach Tom Osborne and many opponents ranked Rik as the finest center Nebraska had put on the field in the previous 14 years.
Before Nebraska (Bellevue)
All-State player at Bellevue High, he also earned National Honor Society laurels. One of six Bellevue grads on the ’75 team.
Born March 20, 1954 in Borger, Texas. Studied Business Administration while at Nebraska and brother Bob was also on the team.