Lincoln, Neb. - Nebraska's women's tennis team (8-1, 1-0 Big Ten) defeated the Illinois State Redbirds (3-2, 0-0 MVC) Friday 6-1. The match was the fourth meeting of the Huskers and the Redbirds with Nebraska remaining undefeated against Illinois State all time at 4-0. The Huskers dominated the court in singles to capture the point before moving into singles to sweep the Redbirds.
The Huskers quickly beat out the Redbirds in doubles to seal the first point at 1-0. At the No. 3 position, Huskers Izabella Zgierska and Maike Zeppernick swept Illinois State's Carolina Abello and Heather Nisbet without dropping a game, 8-0. At the No. 2 position where Nebraska's Patricia Veresova and Maggy Lehmicke toppled Redbirds Phyllis Tigges and Stefanie Youngberg 8-3 to grab the doubles point for Nebraska. Doubles play concluded at the No. 1 spot where Huskers Janine Weinreich and Stefanie Weinstein edged Illinois State's Kadi Ilves and Emmie Marx on an 8-4 victory.
Following the intermission, Nebraska entered singles with a 1-0 lead over Illinois State. The Huskers quickly extended the lead to 2-0 at the No. 2 spot where Stefanie Weinstein only dropped two games over Illinois State's Emmie Marx 6-0, 6-2. At the No. 1 position, Nebraska's Patricia Veresova defeated the Redbirds' Phyllis Tigges 6-1, 6-2 to push the lead to 3-0.
The Huskers sealed the win at the No. 4 position where Janine Weinreich toppled Illinois State's Carolina Abello 6-1, 6-1 pushing the score to 4-0. With the match decided, Huskers' Maggy Lehmicke defeated Illinois State’s Kadi Ilves 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 3 position to extend the lead 5-0.
The Huskers snatched theier sixth point at the No. 6 singles where Maike Zeppernick edged the Redbirds' Gabby Phillips 6-1, 6-2 to make the score 6-0. The match concluded at the No. 5 position with Nebraska's Izabella Zgierska falling to Illinois State's Stefanie Younberg 2-6, 6-3, 0-1 (6-10) and a final score of: Nebraska 6-1 Illinois State.
The Huskers host Colorado State on Sunday at 11 a.m. before welcoming UALR on Friday Feb. 22 at 4 p.m. and Wyoming on Sunday, Feb. 24 at 11 a.m.
15 Nebraska - 6
Illinois State - 1
1. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Phyllis Tigges (ISU) 6-1, 6-2.
2. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Emmie Marx (ISU) 6-0, 6-2.
3. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Kadi Ilves (ISU) 6-4, 6-2.
4. Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Carolina Abello (ISU) 6-1, 6-1.
5. Stefanie Youngberg (ISU) def. Izabella Zgierska (NU) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6).
6. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Gabby Phillips (ISU) 6-1, 6-2.
Order of finish (2, 1, 4, 3, 6, 5)
1. Janine Weinreich/Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Kadi Ilves/Emmie Marx (ISU) 8-4.
2. Patricia Veresova/Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Phyllis Tigges/Stefanie Youngberg 8-3.
3. Izabella Zgierska/Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Carolina Abello/Heather Nisbet 8-0.
Order of finish (3, 2, 1)