|Hometown:||West Middlesex, Pa.|
|High School:||Kennedy Catholic High School|
|Club:||Olympic Dreams Gymnastics|
Honors & Awards
- First-Team All-Big Ten (2017)
- Second-Team All-Big Ten (2016)
- Big Ten Co-Champion (2015: UB)
- Big Ten All-Championships Team (2015: UB; 2016: UB; 2017: UB)
- Big Ten Co-Gymnast of the Week (1/11/16, 3/13/17)
- Big Ten Event Specialist of the Week (2/1/16)
- NACGC/W Scholastic All-American (2014, 2015, 2016)
- Big Ten Distinguished Scholar Award (2016)
- Academic All-Big Ten (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Nebraska Scholar-Athlete Honor Roll (Fall 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016; Spring 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Nebraska HERO Leadership Award (2015)
- Tom Osborne Citizenship Team (2014, 2015, 2016)
- Named Academic All-Big Ten on March 22
- Earned a spot on the Big Ten All-Championships Team for the third-consecutive year on uneven bars after tying for second on the event with a score of 9.90 at the conference meet (3/18), while tying a career high with a 39.400 in the all-around
- Named first-team All-Big Ten on March 13
- Named Big Ten Co-Gymnast of the Week on March 13
- Won all-around title with a career-high 39.400 at the B1G Five meet (3/11)
- Tied a career high and set a new season high with a 9.925 to finish second on floor at the Masters Classic (2/25)
- Earned all-around title with a 39.350, while winning the bars title with a 9.875 at GymQuarters Invitational (2/17)
- Won all-around title with a 39.325 and shared vault crown with a 9.85 at Minnesota (2/11)
- Tied a career high and set a new season high with a 9.90 on vault at Oklahoma (2/3) to finish second overall
- Won the all-around title with a 39.350 against Penn State (1/15) and shared the bars title with a 9.925
- Named to the preseason Big Ten Gymnasts to Watch list
“Jennie’s been a great competitor for us for three years now. She’s done a great job on all four events, and I think she’s ready for this year and plans to have a great senior season.” – Head Coach Dan Kendig
Jennie Laeng returns to Nebraska looking to cap her career by leading the Huskers back to the NCAA Championships in 2017. A strong all-around performer as a junior, Laeng will look to provide leadership and experience to the young Huskers as one of two seniors on the team in addition to her role as an all-arounder.
Following a strong sophomore campaign, Laeng pushed through to compete as an all-around performer in her junior season. She was a consistent contributor on vault and was able to provide strong scores on uneven bars, balance beam and floor exercise for the Big Red in 2016, earning second-team All-Big Ten honors.
She was at her best to begin the season at Arizona State, winning each event and hitting a career-high score of 39.350 to win her first all-around title. She was named Big Ten Co-Gymnast of the Week on Jan. 11 for her performance.
Known for her beautiful uneven bars routine, Laeng earned Big Ten All-Championships Team accolades for her 9.90 bar routine at the championships. She produced career highs on beam with scores of 9.90 twice throughout the season and on floor with a 9.925 routine at the B1G Five meet in Columbus, Ohio.
Laeng was also named Big Ten Event Specialist of the Week on Feb. 1 after winning vault and bars titles in helping Nebraska take down third-ranked Michigan.
She continued her strong work outside of the gym, earning NACGC/W Scholastic All-America honors for a third time. Laeng also earned a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar Award in 2016. She was named Academic All-Big Ten for the second-consecutive season, and was a member of the Nebraska Scholar-Athlete Honor Roll both semesters. Laeng also grabbed a spot on the Tom Osborne Citizenship Team for the third consecutive year.
Coming off a strong freshman campaign, Laeng provided the Huskers with strong routines to boost them to a top-10 national finish. As a three-event specialist, Laeng consistently contributed solid scores across the board and was especially prominent on bars.
At the 2015 Big Ten Championships, Laeng took home her first conference crown after posting a career-high 9.95 routine on bars. She also earned Big Ten All-Championships Team accolades, the only Husker to achieve such an honor. A strong vaulter, Laeng posted personal bests of 9.90 in the leadoff position twice in 2015. She also tallied a season-best 9.875 on beam twice.
Laeng continued to provide leadership in the classroom and the community in 2015, earning the Nebraska HERO Leadership Award for outstanding service. Laeng was also one of six Huskers to earn NACGC/W Scholastic All-America honors in 2015. She was named Academic All-Big Ten for the first time, in addition to earning spots on the Nebraska Scholar-Athlete Honor Roll both semesters and the Tom Osborne Citizenship Team in 2015.
Laeng provided a surprising spark to the Husker lineup during the 2014 season. She started her freshman campaign outside of every Husker lineup and finished the season competing as a three-event specialist on vault, bars and beam. In her collegiate debut against Michigan, Laeng took second place on bars behind All-American Emily Wong by hitting a 9.875 and remained in the rotation for the rest of the season.
Laeng showed her prowess on bars early in the year, as she became one of the Huskers’ most consistent performers on the event by scoring a 9.80 or better seven times throughout the season. In addition, Laeng competed in the all-around competition three times, earning her best performance at the Big Ten Quad with a 39.325 to boost the Huskers’ efforts to claim the Big Ten regular-season conference title.
She contributed important floor routines as well, recording her season-high 9.85 against Arkansas in the final home meet. Laeng capped her freshman season at the Super Six Finals where she notched a personal-best 9.90 on beam.
In the classroom, Laeng earned NACGC/W Scholastic All-America honors, and she earned a spot on the Nebraska Scholar-Athlete Honor Roll in the fall and spring semesters. She was also named to the inaugural Tom Osborne Citizenship Team for her work in the community.
Laeng joined the Huskers after training with Olympic Dreams Gymnastics under coaches Gary and Dawn Toussaint. At the 2011 Junior Olympic National Invitational Laeng had a breakout performance taking the vault (9.575) and beam titles (9.575). Those titles as well as strong performances on floor and bars gave her the all-around title with a score of 37.100. Laeng was also the 2012 state bars champion in Pennsylvania. A competitor at the 2012 Junior National Championships, Laeng posted her best all-around score of 37.425.
Laeng was born on June 2, 1995 in Sharon, Pa. She is the daughter of Jack and Joni Laeng, and has one sister, Jacalyn, and one brother, Scotty. In high school, she was a part of the National Honor Society, Honor Roll, Environmental Science Club and Student Council. Jennie is majoring in psychology and is a three-time NACGC/W Scholastic All-American. She earned a Big Ten Distinguished Scholar Award in 2016 and is a three-time Academic All-Big Ten selection. Laeng is a seven-time member of the Nebraska Scholar-Athlete Honor Roll. She earned a Nebraska HERO Leadership Award in 2015 and is a three-time member of the Tom Osborne Citizenship Team.
Laeng's Career Highs at Nebraska
- Vault: 9.90 (3 times, last at Oklahoma, 2/3/17)
- Bars: 9.95 (at Big Ten Championships, 3/21/15)
- Beam: 9.90 (2 times, last at Penn State, 1/16/16)
- Floor: 9.925 (2 times, last at Masters Classic, 2/25/17)
- All-Around: 39.400 (2 times, last at Big Ten Championships, 3/18/17)
2017 Season Highs:
- Vault: 9.90 (at Oklahoma, 2/3)
- Bars: 9.925 (vs. Penn State, 1/15)
- Beam: 9.875 (at B1G Five, 3/11)
- Floor: 9.925 (at Masters Classic, 2/25)
- All-Around: 39.400 (2 times, last at Big Ten Championships, 3/18)
2016 Season Highs:
- Vault: 9.875 (3 times, last vs. Utah State, 3/6/16)
- Bars: 9.925 (vs. Michigan, 1/29/16)
- Beam: 9.90 (at Penn State, 1/16/16)
- Floor: 9.925 (at B1G Five, 3/12/16)
- All-Around: 39.350 (at Arizona State, 1/8/16)
2015 Season Highs:
- Vault: 9.90 (2 times, last at Masters Classic, 3/1/15)
- Bars: 9.95 (at Big Ten Championships, 3/21/15)
- Beam: 9.875 (2 times, last at Big Ten Five, 3/14/15)
- Floor: 9.825 (2 times, last vs. Oregon State, 3/7/15)
2014 Season Highs:
- Vault: 9.875 (at Big Ten Quad, 3/15/14)
- Bars: 9.875 (vs. Michigan, 2/14/14)
- Beam: 9.90 (at NCAA Super Six, 4/19/14)
- Floor: 9.85 (vs. Arkansas, 3/8/14)
- All-Around: 39.325 (at Big Ten Quad, 3/15/14)