Huskers Fall To Drake, 4-3
The Huskers began the match by losing the doubles point. The point came down to a tie breaker on court No. 2 when Drake's duo of Alen Salibasic and Ceasar Bracho defeated NU's team of Andre Stenger and Robert Schulze, 9-8 (7-4). Winning their doubles match was the Huskers' No. 5 team of Christopher Aumueller and Benedikt Lindheim who downed Drake's team of Anis Ghorbel and James McKie, 8-6.
Nebraska's seniors took charge at the top two spots in the Huskers' lineup. At the No. 1 spot, NU's Aumueller downed Drake's Ghorbel in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3. On court No. 2 Nebraska's Lindheim was victorious when he downed Drake's Jean Erasmus in straight sets, 7-6, 6-0.
"It was very close. Drake's an under-ranked, well coached team," Nebraska assistant coach Joreg Barthel said after the match. "We had our chances, but I felt that they deserved to win it. We dominated at the top spots in singles, but with a quick match on court No. 3, it's tough being down 2-0 and having to catch up."
At the No. 3 spot, Drake's McKie downed NU's Stenger, 6-0, 6-1. The Bulldogs' Salibasic downed Nebraska's Schulze, 6-3, 6-4, on court No. 4.
"I'm disappointed as a coach," Nebraska's head coach Kerry McDermott said after the match. "I feel that if you win in the top two spots in singles it should just go down the line and we fell short of that tonight. We knew it was going to be a 4-3 match, and what happened tonight shouldn't have happened. The guys just didn't step up."
On court No. 5 Drake's Robin Goodman downed Nebraska's Stefan Gollner, 6-3, 6-4. Nebraska's Eric Sock was victorious on court No. 6 when he defeated Drake's Ben Mullis, 6-3, 6-2.
"We just need to bounce back now. Idaho is a good team, and we know it's going to be a competitive match," McDermott said.
Nebraska will be back in action on Sunday, Feb. 19 when they face the Idaho Vandals at the Nebraska Tennis Center. First serve is set for 9 a.m.
No. 73 Drake 4 def. No. 38 Nebraska 3
1. Aumueller/Lindheim (NU) def. Ghorbel/McKie (DU), 8-6
2. Salibasic/Bracho (DU) def. Stenger/Schulze (NU), 9-8 (7-4)
3. Erasmus/Goodman (DU) def. Gollner/Sock (NU), 8-4
1. Christopher Aumueller (NU) def. Anis Ghorbel (DU), 6-1, 6-3
2. Benedikt Lindheim (NU) def. Jean Erasmus (DU), 7-6, 6-0
3. James McKie (DU) def. Andre Stenger (NU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Alen Salibasic (DU) def. Robert Schulze (NU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Robin Goodman (DU) def. Stefan Gollner (NU), 6-3, 6-4
6. Eric Sock (NU) def. Ben Mullis (DU), 6-3, 6-2