Atlanta, Ga. - The No. 59-ranked Nebraska men's tennis team (6-3, 0-0 Big Ten) commanded the match against Georgia State (5-7, 0-0 Sun Belt) in their 6-1 win over the Panthers on Sunday. The Big Red easily snatched the doubles point early on before rattling off five wins of six matches in singles play to dominate GSU.
Starting in doubles, Nebraska's No. 1 position duo of Brandon Videtich and Bradford Zitsch outpaced Georgia State's Robert Schulze and Sofiane Chevallier 8-6 while fellow Huskers Marc Herrmann and Beau Treyz wrapped up the doubles point at the No. 2 when they overpowered the Panthers' Valentin Horvat and Eric Baum 8-6. The remaining doubles match at the No. 3 went unfinished between NU's Dusty Boyer and Andrew Dzulynsky and GSU's Thomas Cook and Jannis Koeke with the score even at 7-7 (6-6).
The Huskers had the 1-0 advantage as they moved into singles play. The Big Red extended the lead to 2-0 at the No. 1 when Boyer scorched Georgia State's Cook 6-0, 6-4 before the Panthers brought a point back at the No. 5 where Baum toppled NU's Treyz 6-4, 6-1, making the score 2-1.
That would be the only victory and point for the Panthers as the Huskers rallied in the next four matches to take the match. At the No. 4 NU's Dzulynsky ousted GSU's Chevallier 6-1, 6-3 while fellow Big Red teammate Vasileios Stavropoulos knocked off Georgia State's Felipe Jaworski 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 6. At the No. 2 singles, Nebraska's Herrmann outlasted the Panthers' Koeke 6-4, 7-5 while fellow Husker Tom Blackwell claimed a victory at the No. 3 over Panther Schulze 6-3, 7-6 (9-7).
Next up for the Huskers is a double-header trip on March 1 to Ithaca, N.Y. that sets the Scarlet and Cream against Cornell at 1 p.m. and Monmouth at 4 p.m.
No. 59 Nebraska - 6
Georgia State - 1
1. Boyer, Dusty (NEB) def. Cook, Thomas (GSU) 6-0, 6-4
2. Herrmann, Marc (NEB) def. Koeke, Jannis (GSU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Blackwell, Tom (NEB) def. Schulze, Robert (GSU) 6-3, 7-6 (9-7)
4. Dzulynsky, Andrew (NEB) def. Chevallier, Sofiane (GSU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Baum, Eric (GSU) def. Treyz, Beauregard (NEB) 6-4, 6-1
6. Stavropoulos, Vasile (NEB) def. Jaworski, Felipe (GSU) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish (1, 5, 4, 6, 2, 3)
1. Videtich, Brandon/Zitsch, Bradford (NEB) def. Schulze, Robert/Chevallier, Sofiane (GSU) 8-6
2. Herrmann, Marc/Treyz, Beauregard (NEB) def. Horvat, Valentin/Baum, Eric (GSU) 8-6
3. Cook, Thomas/Koeke, Jannis (GSU) vs. Boyer, Dusty/Dzulynsky, Andrew (NEB) 7-7 (6-6), unfinished
Order of finish (1, 2)