Huskers Defeat Purdue, Win Third Straight
LINCOLN – The No. 68 Nebraska Cornhuskers men’s tennis team won their third-straight match on Friday night as they defeated No. 72 Purdue in an intense match, 4-3. With the win, the Huskers improve to 10-9 on the year and are 3-3 in Big Ten Conference play. Purdue falls to 7-10 in the year and is now 1-4 in Big Tenaction.
The Huskers started out the match by winning the doubles point as their top-two teams won their matches.
On court No. 1, NU’s team of Christopher Aumueller and Benedikt Lindheim defeated Purdue’s Aaron Dujovn and Diego Acosta, 8-4. Winning NU’s second match and clinching the point for the Huskers was their team of Robert Schulze and Andre Stenger, who were victorious over the Boilermaker’s squad of Szymon Tatarczyk and Mrisztian Krocsko, 8-4.
The Huskers kept their doubles momentum going into singles play.
On court No. 1, NU’s Aumueller downed Purdue’s Tatarczyk in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2. In the match of the night, NU’s Lindheim fought back after being down in the second and third sets to defeat Purdue’s Mark Kovacs, 2-6, 6-4, 6-4. Lindheim was playing at the No. 2 spot in the Huskers’ lineup.
Purdue picked up a point on court No. 3 when Diego Acosta downed NU’s Schulze, 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (8-6). On court No. 4, Nebraska’s Stenger was victorious over Purdue’s Krisztian Krocsko in straight sets, 6-4, 7-5.
Purdue was victorious on court No. 5 when Dujovn downed NU’s Gollner, 1-6, 6-1, 6-4. The Boilermaker’s Evan Hawkins defeated Nebraska’s Tom Blackwell, 6-2, 6-2 on court No. 6.
After the match, Nebraska’s head coach Kerry McDermott was happy with his team’s effort.
“It was a good victory for us today. We got off to a good start winning the doubles point,” McDermott said. “The guys work hard and today, I felt that the hard work paid off.”
The Huskers will be back in action on Sunday, April 8 when No. 33 Indiana visits Lincoln. Sunday’s match will be at the NU Varsity Courts and begin at noon.
No. 68 Nebraska 4 def. No. 72 Purdue 3
1. Aumueller/Lindheim (NU) def. Dujovne/Acosta (PUR), 8-4
2. Schulze/Stenger (NU) def. Tatarczyk/Krocsko (PUR), 8-4
3. Kovacs/Poziomski (PUR) def. Gollner/Sock, 8-5
1. Christopher Aumueller (NU) def. Szymon Tatarczyk (PUR), 6-3, 6-2
2. Benedikt Lindheim (NU) def. Mark Kovacs (PUR), 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Diego Acosta (PUR) def. Robert Schulze (NU), 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Andre Stenger (NU) def. Krisztian Krocsko (PUR), 6-4, 7-5
5. Aaron Dujovne (PUR) def. Stefan Gollner (NU), 1-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. Evan Hawkins (PUR) def. Tom Blackwell (NU), 6-2, 6-2