Huskers Edged By Spartans 4-3 on the Road
East Lansing, Mich. - The Nebraska men's tennis team (9-8, 1-2 Big Ten) fell 3-4 to Michigan State (7-10, 1-3 Big Ten) on Friday at the MSU Indoor Tennis Facility. The Spartans grabbed the doubles point before grabbing three quick singles matches, leaving the Huskers to get three points once the match had already been decided. The victory was sealed at the No. 3 court in singles, giving MSU their first conference win and leaving NU 1-2 in conference play.
Beginning the match in doubles, Michigan State's Drew Lied and John Patrick Mullane ousted Nebraska's Brandon Videtich and Bradford Zitsch 8-6 at the No. 1 position before NU's Dusty Boyer and Scott Elsass toppled MSU's Will Davis and Doug Zade 8-3 at the No. 3 spot. The point was decided at the No. 2 where the Spartans' Harry Jadun and Gijs Linders defeated the Huskers' Beau Treyz and Marc Herrmann 8-6.
The score was 1-0 in favor of MSU headed into singles, where they tallied three straight wins to grab the victory. At the No. 2 position, Michigan State's Mullane dropped Nebraska's Herrmann 6-4, 6-0 followed by a win at the No. 6 by the Spartans' Mac Roy over the Huskers' Charlie Shin 6-3, 7-5. The match was decided at the No. 4 where MSU's Linders outpaced NU's Andrew Dzulynsky 6-4, 6-3.
Despite the match already being decided, Nebraska won the three remaining matches. At the No. 1, NU's Dusty Boyer defeated MSU's Lied 6-4, 6-4 while fellow Husker Vasileios Stavropoulos outlasted the Spartans' Davis 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-3). The final match at the No. 3 ended in favor of Nebraska's Tom Blackwell over Michigan State's Brett Forman 1-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Next up for the Huskers is a road match against No. 46 Michigan on Sunday at noon in Ann Arbor, Mich. where the Huskers take on a tough Wolverine squad.
Nebraska - 3
Michigan State - 4
East Lansing, Mich.
1. Dusty Boyer (NU) def. Drew Lied (MSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. John Patrick Mullane (MSU) def. Marc Herrmann (NU) 6-4, 6-0
3. Tom Blackwell (NU) def. Brett Forman (MSU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Gijs Linders (MSU) def. Andrew Dzulynsky (NU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Vasileios Stavropoulos (NU) def. Will Davis (MSU) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-3)
6. Mac Roy (MSU) def. Charlie Shin (NU) 6-3, 7-5
Order of finish (2, 6, 4, 1, 5, 3)
1. Drew Lied/John Patrick Mullane (MSU) def. Brandon Videtich/Bradford Zitsch (NU) 8-6
2. Harry Jadun/Gijs Linders (MSU) def. Beau Treyz/Marc Herrmann (NU) 8-6
3. Dusty Boyer/Scott Elsass (NU) def. Will Davis/Doug Zade (MSU) 8-3
Order of finish (1, 3, 2)