Huskers Sweep Nebraska-Omaha 7-0 at Home
Lincoln, Neb. - The Nebraska men's tennis team (12-11, 3-5 Big Ten) swept the Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks (6-13, 1-2 Summit League) at the Nebraska Tennis Center on Friday night. The Huskers didn't drop a set in their rout of the Mavericks, after slipping 5-2 to a tough Northwestern earlier in the day.
In doubles, at the No. 1 position, Nebraska's Dusty Boyer and Marc Herrmann foiled Nebraska-Omaha's Adam Dockery and Eric McKnight 8-3 while fellow Huskers Charlie Shin and Court Clark ousted the Mavericks' Colin Buckley and Erik Anderson 8-6 at the No. 3 spot. The No. 2 court finished with a victory for NU's Tom Blackwell and Beau Treyz over UNO's Tyler Mercier and Nathan Greteman 8-5.
In singles, Nebraska opened the victories at the No. 5 position where Scott Elsass swept Nebraska-Omaha's Anderson 6-0, 6-0 while fellow Husker Shin dominated the Mavericks' Buckley 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 4 spot. NU's Chris Schindler followed by scorching UNO's Greteman 6-0, 6-2 at the No. 6 court.
With the match decided, Nebraska's Vasileios Stavropoulos earned a victory over Nebraska-Omaha's Dockery 6-1, 6-4 at the No. 2 spot while fellow Husker Bradford Zitsch rolled past the Mavericks' McKnight 6-4, 6-3 at the No. 3 position. The match ended at the No. 1 with NU's Blackwell emerging victorious over UNO's Mercier 6-3, 6-3.
Next up for the Huskers is a match against No. 11 Illinois when the Huskers host the Fighting Illini on Sunday, April 13 at noon at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
No. 62 Nebraska - 7
Nebraska-Omaha - 0
1. Tom Blackwell (NU) def. Tyler Mercier (UNO) 6-3, 6-3
2. Vasileios Stavropoulos (NU) def. Adam Dockery (UNO) 6-1, 6-4
3. Bradford Zitsch (NU) def. Eric McKnight (UNO) 6-4, 6-3
4. Charlie Shin (NU) def. Colin Buckley (UNO) 6-1, 6-1
5. Scott Elsass (NU) def. Erik Anderson (UNO) 6-0, 6-0
6. Chris Schindler (NU) def. Nathan Greteman (UNO) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish (5, 4, 6, 2, 3, 1)
1. Dusty Boyer/Marc Herrmann (NU) def. Adam Dockery/Eric McKnight (UNO) 8-3
2. Tom Blackwell/Beau Treyz (NU) def. Tyler Mercier/Nathan Greteman (UNO) 8-5
3. Charlie Shin/Court Clark (NU) def. Colin Buckley/Erik Anderson (UNO) 8-6
Order of finish (1, 3, 2)