Minneapolis, Minn. - The No. 14 Nebraska women's tennis team (20-4, 9-1 Big Ten) dropped Minnesota (9-13, 3-7 Big Ten) by a score of 6-1 on Friday. The Huskers are one victory away from their first ever Big Ten regular season title. It was the 15th match ever between the two teams and Minnesota leads the all-time series 11-4.
The Huskers quickly grabbed their first point in doubles where No. 4 Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova swept Minnesota's Natallia Pintusava and Paula Rincon Otero 8-0 at the No. 1 position followed by a victory at the No. 2 spot by fellow Huskers Stefanie Weinstein and Janine Weinreich over the Golden Gophers' Tereza Brichacova and Doron Muravnik 8-3. The No. 3 doubles match went unfinished.
Leading the match 1-0 headed into singles, Nebraska quickly extended the lead at the No. 3 position where Stefanie Weinstein defeated Paula Rincon Otero 6-2, 6-2 before teammate Janine Weinreich knocked off the Gophers' Aria Lambert 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 5 spot to push the score to 3-0.
The Huskers sealed the dual by a win at the No. 2 position with Patricia Veresova ousting Minnesota's Tereza Brichacova 6-1, 6-2 followed by another victory from fellow Husker Izabella Zgierska against Minnesota's Alexa Palen 6-2, 6-2 and extending the score to 5-0.
The Golden Gophers got their only point next at the No. 4 position where Jessika Mozia defeated the Huskers' Maggy Lehmicke 1-6, 6-3, 1-0 (6). Nebraska grabbed the last point at the No. 1 singles position where No. 11 Mary Weatherholt toppled Minnesota's Natallia Pintusava 7-5, 6-3 to maintain her perfect Big Ten record at 10-0. The Huskers won the match 6-1 overall.
Nebraska returns home to host Wisconsin on Sunday, April 21 at 11 a.m. to close out the regular Big Ten season and possibly win the Big Ten regular season title by defeating the Badgers.
No. 14 Nebraska - 6
Minnesota - 1
1. No. 11 Mary Weatherholt (NEB) def. Natallia Pintusava (MINN) 7-5, 6-3
2. Patricia Veresova (NEB) def. Tereza Brichacova (MINN) 6-1, 6-2
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NEB) def. Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 6-2, 6-2
4. Jessika Mozia (MINN) def. Maggy Lehmicke (NEB) 1-6, 6-3, 1-0 (6)
5. Janine Weinreich (NEB) def. Aria Lambert (MINN) 6-3, 6-2
6. Izabella Zgierska (NEB) def. Alexa Palen (MINN) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish (3, 5, 2, 6, 4, 1)
1. No. 4 Mary Weatherholt/Patricia Veresova (NEB) def. Natallia Pintusava/Paula Rincon Otero (MINN) 8-0
2. No. 77 Stefanie Weinstein/Janine Weinreich (NEB) def. Tereza Brichacova/Doron Muravnik (MINN) 8-3
3. Jessika Mozia/Alexa Palen (MINN) vs. Izabella Zgierska/Maggy Lehmicke (NEB) 6-4 unfinished
Order of finish (1, 2)