Lincoln, Neb. - The Nebraska women's tennis team (2-3, 0-0 Big Ten) soared past the Eastern Michigan Eagles (3-3, 0-0 MVC) on Friday at the Nebraska Tennis Center by a score of 5-2. The Huskers went up early in the doubles before giving up a couple points to the Eagles, only to hold on to the lead and grab the win.
Beginning the match at doubles, Nebraska's Maike Zeppernick and Izabella Zgierska made quick work of Eastern Michigan's Mariya Toncheva and Maria Paula Ribero in an 8-1 victory at the No. 2 position. The doubles point was decided at the No. 1 spot when NU's Maggy Lehmicke and Mary Hanna outpaced EMU's Klara Supejova and Nino Mebuke 8-6. The No. 3 doubles between the Huskers' Hannah Sulz and Lisa Andersson and the Eagles' Daphne Friedrichs and Zsofia Biro went unfinished.
Starting singles with the advantage, Nebraska pushed the score to 2-0 when Sulz scorched Eastern Michigan's Ribero 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 6 position followed by a win for the Eagles at the No. 2 spot where Diana Davitaia ousted NU's Zgierska 6-1, 6-4 to make the score 2-1. EMU's Mebuke toppled NU's Hanna 7-6 (7-2), 6-2 at the No. 3 position to tie the score at two all.
The Huskers took the lead once again at the No. 1 spot when No. 80-ranked Lehmicke defeated the Eagles' Supejova 7-5, 6-4, making the score 3-2. The victory for Nebraska was secured at the No. 5 position by Zeppernick with a win over Eastern Michigan's Friedrichs 6-2, 7-5. The last match at the No. 4 position played through, resulting in a victory for NU's Andersson over the Eagles' Toncheva 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (8-6) to make the match final tally 5-2 in the Huskers' favor.
Next up for the Huskers is a home match on Sunday, Feb. 16 that sees the Huskers hosting Illinois State at 11 a.m.
No. 49 Nebraska - 5
Eastern Michigan - 2
1. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Klara Supejova (EMU) 7-5, 6-4
2. Diana Davitaia (EMU) def. Izabella Zgierska (NU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Nino Mebuke (EMU) def. Mary Hanna (NU) 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
4. Lisa Andersson (NU) def. Mariya Toncheva (EMU) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (8-6)
5. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Daphne Friedrichs (EMU) 6-2, 7-5
6. Hannah Sulz (NU) def. Maria Paula Ribero (EMU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish (6, 2, 3, 1, 5, 4)
1. Maggy Lehmicke/Mary Hanna (NU) def. Klara Supejova/Nino Mebuke (EMU) 8-6
2. Maike Zeppernick/Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Mariya Toncheva/Maria Paula Ribero (EMU) 8-1
3. Hannah Sulz/Lisa Andersson (NU) vs. Daphne Friedrichs/Zsofia Biro (EMU) DNF
Order of finish (2, 1)