Huskers Fly Past Redhawks
Lincoln, Neb. - The Nebraska women’s tennis team (8-4, 0-0 Big Ten) earned a narrow 4-3 win over Miami-Ohio (7-4, 0-0 MAC) on Sunday at the Nebraska Tennis Center. The Huskers fought for the doubles point, sealing it in three matches, before allowing three points to the Redhawks before capturing the victory at the No. 4 singles.
Starting in doubles, Nebraska struck first at the No. 1 position when Maggy Lehmicke and Mary Hanna ousted Miami’s Christine Guerrazzi and Ana Rajkovic 8-4 before the Redhawks made their rebound at the No. 3 spot when Ramona Costea and Christiana Raymond toppled the Huskers’ Lisa Andersson and Hannah Sulz 8-2. The point was snatched by the Big Red at the No. 2 when Maike Zeppernick and Izabella Zgierska narrowly edged out MU’s Nimisha Mohan and Andreea Badileanu 8-7 (3).
The Huskers moved into singles with the 1-0 advantage and soon pushed the lead to 2-0 at the No. 5 position when Zeppernick scorched Miami’s Costea 6-2, 6-1. The Redhawks regained ground at the No. 3 spot when Raymond outlasted the Huskers’ Andersson 7-6 (5), 6-1 before NU earned another victory at the No. 1 when Lehmicke rallied past MU’s Mohan 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 to make the score 3-1.
The Redhawks were able to rally and tie the match at 3-3 when Rajkovic defeated Nebraska’s Sulz 6-1, 6-0 at the No. 6 followed by another MU win at the No. 2 when Badileanu bested NU’s Zgierska 6-3, 7-5. The match was won at the No. 4 spot when the Huskers’ Hanna earned a three-set thriller victory over Miami’s Guerrazzi 7-5, 2-6, 6-3.
“Mary Hanna clinched the match,” Nebraska Assistant Coach German Dalmagro said. “We competed really well and everyone fought hard and rose to the occasion.”
Next up for the Huskers is to host Iowa on Friday, March 14 at 3 p.m. in their first Big Ten match of the season and Wichita State on Saturday, March 15 at 2 p.m. at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
Nebraska - 4
Miami (Ohio) - 3
1. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) def. Nimisha Mohan (MU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Andreea Badileanu (MU) def. Izabella Zgierska (NU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Christiana Raymond (MU) def. Lisa Andersson (NU) 7-6 (5), 6-1
4. Mary Hanna (NU) def. Christine Guerrazzi (MU) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
5. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Ramona Costea (MU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Ana Rajkovic (MU) def. Hannah Sulz (NU) 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish (5, 3, 1, 6, 2, 4)
1. Maggy Lehmicke/Mary Hanna (NU) def. Christine Guerrazzi/Ana Rajkovic (MU) 8-4
2. Maike Zeppernick/Izabella Zgierska (NU) def. Nimisha Mohan/Andreea Badileanu (MU) 8-7 (3)
3. Ramona Costea/Christiana Raymond (MU) def. Lisa Andersson/Hannah Sulz (NU) 8-2
Order of finish (1, 3, 2)