Evanston, Ill. - The Nebraska women's tennis team (8-13, 0-8 Big Ten) got swept 7-0 by the Northwestern Wildcats (13-6, 7-1 Big Ten) on Saturday on the road, still yet to get an Big Ten win this season.
In doubles, Northwestern's Maddie Lipp and Nida Hamilton ousted Nebraska's Maike Zeppernick and Izabella Zgierska 8-1 at the No. 2 position while fellow Wildcats Brooke Rischbieth and Belinda Niu dominated the Huskers' Hannah Sulz and Lisa Andersson 8-2 at the No. 3 spot. The No. 1 court between NU's No. 29-ranked Alicia Barnett and Veronica Corning and the Big Red's Maggy Lehmicke and Mary Hanna went unfinished once the point was decided.
Moving into singles with the 1-0 lead, Northwestern's Lipp rolled past Nebraska's Lauren Wagner 6-0, 6-2 at the No. 6 position while fellow Wildcat No. 34-ranked Corning scorched the Huskers' Maggy Lehmicke 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 1 court to push the score to 3-0. The match was decided at the No. 3 spot where NU's Manon Peri defeated the Big Red's Hanna 6-0, 6-1.
The remaining matches played through with all courts going to Northwestern starting with Barnett knocking off Nebraska's Zgierska 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 2. The Wildcats' Lok Sze Leung swept the Huskers' Sulz 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 5 court followed by a victory for NU's Jillian Rooney at the No. 4 spot against the Scarlet and Cream's Zeppernick 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8).
Next up for the Huskers is a match against Illinois on Sunday, April 13 at noon in Urbana, Ill.
Nebraska - 0
No. 12 Northwestern - 7
1. No. 34 Veronica Corning (NWU) def. Maggy Lehmicke (NU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Alicia Barnett (NWU) def. Izabella Zgierska (NU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Manon Peri (NWU) def. Mary Hanna (NU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Jillian Rooney (NWU) def. Maike Zeppernick (NU) 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Lok Sze Leung (NWU) def. Hannah Sulz (NU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Maddie Lipp (NWU) def. Lauren Wagner (NU) 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish (6, 1, 3, 2, 5, 4)
1. No. 29 Alicia Barnett/Veronica Corning (NWU) vs. Maggy Lehmicke/Mary Hanna (NU) DNF
2. Maddie Lipp/Nida Hamilton (NWU) def. Maike Zeppernick/Izabella Zgierska (NU) 8-1
3. Brooke Rischbieth/Belinda Niu (NWU) def. Hannah Sulz/Lisa Andersson (NU) 8-2
Order of finish (2, 3)