Lincoln - The Nebraska women's tennis team kept its winning streak alive and improved to 12-0 on the season with a 4-3 win over No. 35 Wichita State and a 7-0 win over Omaha on Sunday at the Sid and Hazel Dillon Tennis Center.
In Sunday's first match against Wichita State, the Huskers overcame a pair of losses to drop the doubles and rebounded with four singles victories to knock off the Shockers. Nebraska's Claire Reifeis and Hayley Haakenstad dropped a difficult 6-3 set against WSU's Tanaporn Thonsing and Ting-Ya Hsu at No. 3 doubles, before Huskers Mary Hanna and Paula Del Cueto Castillo lost 7-5 to Fatima Bizukova and Gabriela Porubin at the top doubles spot
Junior Katerina Matysova tied up the match with her quick 6-1, 6-1 sweep of Wichita State's Marta Bellucco at No. 5 singles. Matysova improved to 9-0 this spring in singles with the victory.
The Shockers responded with Giulia Guidetti's 6-2, 7-6 win over Reifeis at No. 1 singles to regain a 2-1 edge, before the Huskers got a 6-1, 6-4 win from senior Lisa Andersson over Marija Mastilovic at the No. 6 position.
With the team scored tied at 2-2, Hanna fell at No.4 singles, before Del Cueto Castillo tied the score at 3-3 with a dramatic 7-5, 7-5 win Thongsing at the No. 3 position.
Del Cueto Castillo's victory set up high drama for Husker sophomore Vasanti Shinde, who battled her way to an outstanding, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5 victory over Porubin secure the 4-3 team win for the Big Red.
With a thrilling morning match behind them, the Huskers made quick work of the Mavericks, sweeping every set in singles and doubles to roll to a 7-0 win.
Huskers Elizabeth Gould and Hanna cruised to a 6-1 win over Kenzie Hill and Hannah Hills at No. 3 doubles, before Matysova and Jeannie Lozowski worked their way to a 6-3 victory at the No. 2 spot to claim the doubles point.
Matysova dominated at No. 2 singles with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Janelle Wilson to improve to 10-0 on the year.
Andersson rolled to a 6-4, 6-0 victory over Omaha's Emily Behling at No. 3 singles before Reifeis, Lozowski, Haakenstad and Sydney Harlow all earned victories to finish the sweep of the Mavs. Reifeis defeated Michelle Lo at No.1 singles in a 7-6, 6-4 final score to clinch the match for the Huskers.
Lozowski earned her ninth singles win of the season with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Rylee Tucker. Fellow freshman Haakenstad claimed a 6-3, 6-0 win over Hill to push the Big Red to 6-0.
Harlow, a sophomore from Omaha, then notched a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Hills to secure the sweep of the Mavs.
The Huskers return to home action at the Dillon Tennis Center on March 4 when they tangle with Houston. First serve against the Cougars is set for 11 a.m.
Nebraska vs. No. 35 Wichita State
1. Giulia Guidetti (WS) def. Claire Reifeis (NEB) 6-2, 7-6
2. Vasanti Shinde (NEB) def. Gabriela Porubin (WS) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
3. Paula Del Cueto Castillo (NEB) def. Tanaporn Thongsing (WS) 7-5, 7-5
4. Fatima Bizhukova (WS) def. Mary Hanna (NEB) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. Katerina Matysova (NEB) def. Marta Bellucco (WS) 6-1, 6-1
6. Lisa Andersson (NEB) def. Marija Mastilovic (WS) 6-1, 6-4
1. Fatima Bizhukova/Gabriela Porubin (WS) def. Mary Hanna/P.Del Cueto Castillo (NEB) 7-5
2. Lisa Andersson/Vasanti Shinde (NEB) vs. Marta Bellucco/Giulia Guidetti (WS) 5-4, unfinished
3. Tanaporn Thongsing/Ting-Ya Hsu (WS) def. Claire Reifeis/Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) 6-3
Nebraska vs. Omaha
1. Claire Reifeis (NEB) def. Michelle Lo (UNO) 7-6, 6-4
2. Katerina Matysova (NEB) def. Janelle Wilson (UNO) 6-1, 6-0
3. Lisa Andersson (NEB) def. Emily Behling (UNO) 6-4, 6-0
4. Jeannie Lozowski (NEB) def. Rylee Tucker (UNO) 6-2, 6-2
5. Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) def. Kenzie Hill (UNO) 6-3, 6-0
6. Sydney Harlow (NEB) def. Hannah Hills (UNO) 6-3, 6-2
1. Claire Reifeis/Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) vs. Michelle Lo/Janelle Wilson (UNO) 5-2, unfinished
2. Katerina Matysova/Jeannie Lozowski (NEB) def. Rylee Tucker/Emily Behling (UNO) 6-3
3. Mary Hanna/Elizabeth Gould (NEB) def. Kenzie Hill/Hannah Hills (UNO) 6-1