Huskers Halt Boilermakers, 5-2
Lincoln, Neb. - The Nebraska women's tennis team hosted the Purdue Boilermakers on Saturday, March 11 at the Dillon Tennis Center. The Big Red defeated the Boildermakers 5-2 for its second straight victory in Big Ten competition.
The match opened with doubles competition, which the Huskers were able to win to open the match with a 1-0 lead.
Freshman pair Claire Reifeis and Hayley Haakenstad defeated Marta Ruedas and Grace Schaffer of the Boilermakers, 7-5, in a tightly-contested match. Picking up the win at the No. 3 position, the duo is 6-1 on the season and 4-1 at the No. 3 doubles spot.
In singles play, junior Katerina Matysova defeated Ruedas, 6-1, 6-1, at the No. 4 spot. Matysova has opened her season with an 12-0 start overall and 4-0 start at No. 4 singles.
At No. 6 singles, Andersson gained her eighth victory on the season by defeating Purdue's Caitlin Calkins 6-3, 6-2. She is now 8-1 in singles overall and 3-0 at No. 6.
At No. 3 singles, Castillo was defeated by Baquerizo, 6-4, 6-1, marking her first lost in singles on the season. She is now 6-1 overall and 4-1 at the No. 3 position.
To seal the victory for the Huskers, Hanna defeated Suarez, 4-6, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 5 singles. Hanna is now 11-1 overall in singles and 2-0 at the No. 5 spot.
Reifeis was defeated by Djokovic, 6-4, 5-7, 1-6, at No. 2 singles.
At No. 1 singles, Shinde picked up her eighth overall victory by defeating Sabe 6-0, 4-6, 6-3.
The Huskers extended their win streak to fifteen matches and are 15-0 on the season and 2-0 in Big Ten Play.
The Nebraska women's tennis team will be back at home at the Dillon Tennis Center Friday, March 31 at 3 p.m., as the team hosts the Northwestern Wildcats. Fans can stay up-to-date with the team by following them on Twitter @HuskersWTennis or by reading updates posted to Huskers.com.
Nebraska 5, Purdue 2
1. Vasanti Shinde (NEB) def. Alex Sabe (PD) 6-0, 4-6, 6-3
2. Andjela Djokovic (PD) def. Claire Reifeis (NEB) 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
3. Rafaella Baquerizo (PD) def. P.Del Cueto Castillo (NEB) 6-4, 6-1
4. Katerina Matysova (NEB) def. Marta Ruedas (PD) 6-1, 6-1
5. Mary Hanna (NEB) def. Deborah Suarez (PD) 4-6, 6-2, 6-0
6. Lisa Andersson (NEB) def. Caitlin Calkins (PD) 6-3, 6-2
1. Andjela Djokovic/Rafaella Baquerizo (PD) def. Mary Hanna/P.Del Cueto Castillo (NEB) 6-4
2. Lisa Andersson/Vasanti Shinde (NEB) def. Alex Sabe/Deborah Suarez (PD) 6-4
3. Claire Reifeis/Hayley Haakenstad (NEB) def. Marta Ruedas/Grace Schaffer (PD) 7-5