LINCOLN, Neb. - The 12th-ranked Nebraska beach volleyball team picked up a 5-0 sweep against Missouri Baptist in the first-ever beach volleyball home match in school history.
The Huskers won all five matches in straight sets to start the season 1-0 at the sand court in the David and Carol Alloy Strength Complex.
The match began at No. 5, where Brooke Smith and Mikaela Foecke picked up a dominant 21-5, 21-5 win in the first beach match of each of their careers.
Kenzie Maloney and Briana Holman, both playing their first beach match as Huskers, then posted a 21-9, 21-14 win to continue the momentum.
At the No. 3 spot, Olivia Boender and Annika Albrecht teamed up for a 21-11, 21-9 victory to clinch the team win.
Justine Wong-Orantes and Amber Rolfzen combined for a 21-13, 21-12 victory at the No. 2 spot, before Kadie Rolfzen and Kelly Hunter closed out the evening with a 21-8, 21-14 victory.
In an exhibition match that started the day, Missouri Baptist's top pair of Julia Whitfield and Hannah Carey defeated NU's No. 6 group, Sydney Townsend and Tiani Reeves, 20-22, 21-12, 15-13.
The Huskers head to Hawaii and California over the next two weeks to continue their beach season, which resumes with March 17 matches against Hawaii Pacific, Chaminade and USC in Honolulu.
Nebraska 5, Missouri Baptist 0
1. Kadie Rolfzen/Kelly Hunter (NEB) def. Julia Whitfield/Hannah Carey (MBU) 21-8, 21-14
2. Justine Wong-Orantes/Amber Rolfzen (NEB) def. Kristina Medanovic/Taylor Cook (MBU) 21-13, 21-12
3. Olivia Boender/Annika Albrecht (NEB) def. Marion Couraud/Jen Brendel (MBU) 21-11, 21-9
4. Kenzie Maloney/Briana Holman (NEB) def. Shelby Clifton/Peyton Yoder (MBU) 21-9, 21-14
5. Brooke Smith/Mikaela Foecke (NEB) def. Audree Morecraft/Molly Fox (MBU) 21-5, 21-5
6. (Exh.) Julia Whitfield/Hannah Carey (MBU) def. Tiani Reeves/Sydney Townsend (NEB) 20-22, 21-12, 15-13