LONG BEACH, Calif. - The 15th-ranked Nebraska beach volleyball team took a 4-1 loss at No. 7 Long Beach State on Thursday afternoon.
Amber Rolfzen and Justine Wong-Orantes scored the lone team point for the Huskers (4-4) with a 21-17, 21-18 win over Rachel Nieto and Nele Barber in the No. 2 spot.
Of the other four matches, three went to a third set, and the 49ers edged the Huskers in all three of them. After winning their first set, 21-19, Kadie Rolfzen and Kelly Hunter fell 13-21, 10-15 in the final two sets to LBSU's No. 1 pair, Jenelle Hudson and Zoi Konstantopoulou. Briana Holman and Kenzie Maloney also won their first set at No. 4, 21-19, but fell 9-21, 15-17 to Ciana Wagner and Morea Wagner.
Annika Albrecht and Olivia Boender tied their No. 3 match at 1-1 after taking set two, 21-14, but Sammee Thomas and Kobi Pekich took the final set, 15-12.
In the No. 5 spot, Ariana Garner and Peyton Grahovac beat Tiani Reeves and Sydney Towsnend, 21-9, 21-17.
Nebraska finishes its beach season with a doubleheader against Cal Poly and No. 1 Pepperdine on Friday, beginning at 1:15 p.m. (CT) in Malibu.
Long Beach State 4, Nebraska 1
1. Jenelle Hudson/Zoi Konstantopoulou (LBSU) def. Kadie Rolfzen/Kelly Hunter: 19-21, 21-13, 15-10
2. Amber Rolfzen/Justine Wong-Orantes (NEB) def. Rachel Nieto/Nele Barber: 21-17, 21-18
3. Sammee Thomas/Kobi Pekich (LBSU) def. Annika Albrecht/Olivia Boender: 21-13, 14-21, 15-12
4. Ciana Wagner/Morea Wagner (LBSU) def. Briana Holman/Kenzie Maloney: 19-21, 21-9, 17-15
5. Ariana Garner/Peyton Grahovac (LBSU) def. Tiani Reeves/Brooke Smith: 21-9, 21-17
Exh. Mykah Wilson/Megan Kruidhof (LBSU) def. Mikaela Foecke/Sydney Townsend: 21-17, 21-12