The Nebraska beach volleyball team split its two matches at the Outrigger Invitational on Queen's Beach in Honolulu, Hawaii on Saturday. The Huskers (2-5) swept Utah, 5-0, in the morning before falling to No. 4 Florida State, 4-1, in the afternoon.
Against Utah, Brooke Smith and Tiani Reeves were the first pair to finish, clinching their match 21-10, 21-15 over Utah's No. 5 pair. Olivia Boender and Annika Albrecht followed with a 21-19, 21-13 win at the No. 2 spot, and Kelly Hunter and Lauren Stivrins won 21-13, 21-17 at No. 3 to clinch the match for the Huskers. Justine Wong-Orantes and Andie Malloy were victorious at the No. 1 spot, 21-19, 21-11, and Mikaela Foecke and Kenzie Maloney finished out the sweep with a comeback 16-21, 21-18, 16-14 win.
Wong-Orantes and Malloy were the only Husker pair to go unbeaten on the day, as they posted a thrilling 21-18, 28-26 win over Florida State's No. 1 pair, Leigh Andrew and Sierra Sanchez. The Seminoles won the other four matches, although three of the wins went three sets.
Nebraska is scheduled to face Utah again on Sunday at 2:30 p.m. (CT).
Nebraska 5, Utah 0
1. Justine Wong-Orantes/Andie Malloy (NU) def. Adora Anae/Dani Barton (UTAH) 21-19, 21-11
2. Olivia Boender/Annika Albrecht (NU) def. Carly Trueman/Bailey Choy (UTAH) 21-19, 21-13
3. Kelly Hunter/Lauren Stivrins (NU) def. Torre Glasker/Eliza Katoa (UTAH) 21-13, 21-17
4. Mikaela Foecke/Kenzie Maloney (NU) def. Tawnee Luafalemana/Brianna Doehrmann (UTAH) 16-21, 21-18, 16-14
5. Brooke Smith/Tiani Reeves (NU) def. Berkeley Oblad/Emily Twohig (UTAH) 21-10, 21-15
Order of finish: Doubles (5,2,3,1,4)
#4 Florida State 4, Nebraska 1
1. Justine Wong-Orantes/Andie Malloy (NU) def. Leigh Andrew/Sierra Sanchez (FSU) 21-18, 28-26
2. Vanessa Freire/Brooke Kuhlman (FSU) def. Olivia Boender/Annika Albrecht (NU) 15-21, 21-12, 15-9
3. Victoria Paranagua/Macy Jerger (FSU) def. Kelly Hunter/Lauren Stivrins (NU) 21-14, 21-16
4. Katie Horton/Francesa Goncalves (FSU) def. Mikaela Foecke/Kenzie Maloney (NU) 21-9, 18-21, 15-7
5. Hailey Luke/Ali Eager (FSU) def. Tiani Reeves/Sydney Townsend (NU) 21-9, 18-21, 15-9
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,4,2,5)