Nebraska Upends Wisconsin
Minneapolis, Minn-The Nebraska women's tennis team used tenacious play and athleticism to topple Wisconsin 6-1 on Saturday. The No. 36 Huskers' (9-1) victory over the No. 66 Badgers (8-3) marked NU's fourth win over a ranked opponent this season, as well as their eighth consecutive victory.
"The match was much closer than the overall score indicated," Assistant Coach Hayden Perez said. "It was a battle from start to finish."
Nebraska used a fast start in doubles action to take control of the match, with their No. 76 duo of Madeleine Geibert and Stefanie Weinstein capturing the win in No. 1 singles over Wisconsin's Alaina Trgovich and Nicky Stracar, 8-6. The Big Red clinched the doubles point with Jennifer Holmberg and Janine Weinreich's victory in No. 2 singles over Angela Chupa and Jenny Hois, 7-6 (2), 6-2. In No. 3 singles, NU's Patricia Veresova and Maike Zeppernick fell at the hands of Wisconsin's Jessica Seyferth and Hannah Berner, 9-7.
The match then transitioned into singles play, where Nebraska snatched up five of six singles matches en route to their victory. Geibert knocked off Stracar in No. 1 singles, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4. Veresova tacked on another win for the Big Red, defeating Hois 7-6 (2), 6-2. Weinstein's 6-7 (0), 6-0, 6-2 win in No. 3 singles over Trgovich clinched the win for Nebraska. Holmberg added another victory for the Huskers with her 6-4, 6-3 defeat of Seyferth in No. 5 doubles. Zeppernick had the final win for Nebraska, picking up a victory in No. 6 singles over Chupa, 7-6 (1), 6-4. NU's only singles loss of the day came at the No. 4 position, where Weinreich fell to Berner, 6-2, 6-3.
"The girls showed a lot of heart today and it was fun to watch them compete," Perez said. "Coach Jacobson and I are very proud of this team's effort."
Nebraska will play one more match this weekend before returning to Lincoln. The Huskers face No. 59 Minnesota (4-5) tomorrow in Minneapolis. The Golden Gophers are looking to rebound after being upset by the Badgers on Friday.
- #76 Geibert/Weinstein (NU) def. Trgovich/Stracar (UW), 8-6
- Holmberg/Weinreich (NU) def. Chupa/Hois (UW), 8-6
- Seyferth/Berner (UW) def. Veresova/Zeppernick (NU), 9-7
- Madeleine Geibert (NU) def. Nicky Stracar (UW), 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
- Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Jenny Hois (UW), 7-6 (2), 6-2
- Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Alaina Trgovich (UW), 6-7 (0), 6-0, 6-2
- Hannah Berner (UW) def. Janine Weinreich (NU), 6-2, 6-3
- Jennifer Holmberg (NU) def. Jessica Seyferth (UW), 6-4, 6-3
- Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Angela Chupa (UW), 7-6 (1), 6-4