Huskers Top Texas Tech
Lubbock, Texas—The Nebraska women’s tennis team bounced back from a loss on Friday to defeat Texas Tech 4-3 on Sunday. The No. 38 Huskers (17-4, 5-2 Big 12) slipped past the No. 39 Red Raiders (15-5, 5-2 Big 12) in a hard-fought dual that saw six of nine matches go to a tiebreaker or extra game.
After inclement weather forced the match to an early 8 a.m. start time at an alternate location, the dual began with singles action. The Huskers struck early, with Janine Weinreich (NU) defeating Kelsy Garland (TTU) in straight sets at the No. 4 position, 6-2, 6-3. Nebraska then took a 2-0 lead as Patricia Veresova (NU) toppled Elizabeth Ullathorne (TTU) at the No. 1 spot, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3.
Texas Tech put themselves on the board with a victory at the No. 2 singles position, but Nebraska quickly extended their lead to 3-1 with Stefanie Weinstein’s (NU) victory over Caroline Starck (TTU), 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3.
The Huskers couldn’t hold onto their strong lead, dropping both the No. 5 and No. 6 singles positions to put the overall score at a 3-3 deadlock. The dual moved into doubles action to determine the victory.
The Huskers again snagged the first victory, with the duo of Geibert and Weinstein (NU) rolling past Garland and Adams (TTU), 8-6 in No. 1 doubles. Nebraska captured the doubles point and the dual victory with Veresova and Weinreich’s victory in No. 2 doubles, 8-5. Texas Tech would take the win at the No. 3 doubles position to conclude action on the day.
Nebraska will host two home matches next weekend in Lincoln. Action will kick off on Friday against No. 25 Texas at 4 p.m. The Huskers will then take a one-day break before facing No. 33 Texas A&M on Sunday at noon. Both matches will be held at the 17th and Vine Street Courts, weather permitting.
1. Madeleine Geibert/Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def.
Kelsy Garland/Samantha Adams (TTU), 8-6
2. Patricia Veresova/Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Carolina Stack/Nikki Sanders (TTU), 8-5
3. Elizabeth Ullathorne/Haley Fournier (TTU) def. Jennifer Holmberg/Maike Zeppernick (NU), 8-7 (7-3)
1. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Elizabeth
Ullathorne (TTU), 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
2. Samantha Adams (TTU) def. Madeleine Geibert (NU), 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Caroline Starck (TTU), 6-3, 6-7 (3-7), 6-4
4. Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Kelsy Garland (TTU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Haley Fournier (TTU) def. Maike Zeppernick (NU), 6-2, 6-7 (4-7), 6-3
6. Nikki Sanders (TTU) def. Jennifer Holmberg (NU), 6-1, 7-6 (11-9)
Order of finish
Singles (4, 1, 2, 3, 6, 5)
Doubles (1, 2, 3)