Huskers Fall to Longhorns, 5-2
The Nebraska women's tennis team fell to Texas on Friday by a score of 5-2 in Lincoln. No. 34 Nebraska (17-5, 5-3 Big 12) played the Longhorns extremely close in doubles, but were unable to wrap up a victory over No. 25 Texas (13-6, 8-2 Big 12).
The match kicked off with doubles action at 1 p.m. All three match-ups were very close and saw multiple ties throughout their duration. Texas took the first victory in doubles, as Madeleine Geibert and Stefanie Weinstein (NU) fell to Amanda Craddock and Cierra Gaytan-Leach (UT), 8-6.
The Longhorns then clinched the doubles point as Krista Damico and Aeriel Ellis toppled Patricia Veresova and Janine Weinreich, 8-5 at the No. 2 spot. The No. 3 position was last to finish, where Juliana Gajic and Maggie Mello edged Jennifer Holmberg and Maike Zeppernick, 8-7.
The match moved into singles play with Texas holding a 1-0 advantage over the Huskers. Nebraska struck first in singles action, with Weinstein (NU) cruising past Mello (UT), 6-3, 6-1. Texas fought back, snagging wins in No. 5 and No. 6 singles to pull ahead 3-1. .
Texas clinched the match with a win at the No. 2 position, where No. 23-ranked Ellis (UT) handed Veresova (NU) her first loss of the year at the No. 2 spot, 6-3, 6-4. The Longhorns increased their lead to 5-1 with a victory in No. 4 singles, where Craddock (UT) narrowly defeated Weinreich (NU), 6-4, 2-.6, 1-0 (10-6).
The final point of the match was in No. 1 singles, where Geibert (NU) and Damico (UT) squared off in the toughest battle of the day. Both players showcased their stamina and heart in the match-up, but it was Geibert who would come away with the victory, 6-4, 7-6 (10-8).
Nebraska will be back in action on Sunday in Lincoln when the Big Red battles No. 35 Texas A&M (11-6, 4-3 Big 12). The match is slated to begin at noon and will be played outdoors unless inclement weather moves the dual inside.
1. No. 49 Amanda Craddock/Cierra Gaytan-Leach (UT) def. No. 85 Madeleine Geibert/Stefanie Weinstein (NU), 8-6
2. Krista Damico/Aeriel Ellis (UT) def. Patricia Veresova/Janine Weinreich (NU), 8-5
3. Juliana Gajic/Maggie Mello (UT) def. Jennifer Holmberg/Maike Zeppernick ( NU), 8-7
1. Madeleine Geibert (NU) def. Krista Damico (UT), 6-4, 7-6 (10-8)
2. No. 23 Aeriel Ellis (UT) def. Patricia Veresova (NU), 6-3, 6-4
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Maggie Mello (UT), 6-3, 6-1
4. Amanda Craddock (UT) def. Janine Weinreich (NU), 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Juliana Gajic (UT) def. Jennifer Holmberg (NU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Cierra Gaytan-Leach (UT) def. Frederike Putthoff (NU), 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish
Doubles (1, 2, 3)
Singles (3, 5, 6, 2, 4, 1)