Huskers Top Shockers
Wichita, Kan.—The Nebraska women’s tennis team ground out a hard-fought 4-3 victory over the Wichita State Shockers on Wednesday at the Sheldon Coleman Tennis Complex. The dual marked NU’s first outdoor action of the year, and was played over the course of seven hours due to limited court availability.
“It was a great win for us today,” Assistant Coach Hayden Perez said. “Wichita State was a tough opponent. Coach Jacobson and I were proud of their efforts, but we know the best is yet to come from this team.”
The No. 31 Huskers (6-1) were powered by two close wins in doubles action, which helped secure their victory over the No. 61 Shockers (4-3). After dropping the No. 3 doubles match, Nebraska bounced back to capture wins at both the No. 1 and No. 2 spots and take a 1-0 lead over Wichita State.
“The way in which we closed out the doubles play was awesome,” Perez said. “We were down in both matches and the girls fought back and came out on top.”
Singles play kicked off with the No. 3 and No. 4 matches. Although Frederike Putthoff was defeated at the No. 4 position, Stefanie Weinstein snagged a win at No. 3, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4. No. 1 and No. 2 singles came next, where Madeleine Geibert won 6-2, 2-0 after her opponent retired from injury. Patricia Veresova then fell at the No. 1 spot, putting Huskers at a 3-2 advantage overall. No. 5 and 6 singles were final to take the court, and Janine Weinreich fell in the No. 5 match, 7-6 (4), 6-4. With the outcome of the dual resting on the No. 6 singles outcome, Jennifer Holmberg prevailed, earning a 6-1, 6-3 victory to give the Huskers the win.
“All the singles matches were intense,” Perez said. “The girls dealt with it great. They all had good attitudes and fought hard.”
The Huskers will now have a 10-day rest before they return to action at the Nebraska Tennis Center. Nebraska will host Colorado State on Feb. 26 at noon and Creighton on Feb. 27 at 3:30 p.m.
1. Weinstein/Geibert (NU) defeats Blasco Fernandez/Blaskova (WSU), 8-6
2. Weinreich/Veresova (NU) defeats No. 67 Budiharto/Zotter (WSU), 9-7
3. Damaschin/Venticinque (WSU) defeats Homlberg/Puthoff (NU), 8-0
1. Lutfiana Budiharto (WSU) defeats Patricia Veresova (NU), 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
2. Madeline Geibert (NU) defeats Raphaela Zotter (WSU), 6-2, 2-0 (Retired Injury)
3. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) defeats Delia Damaschin (WSU), 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
4. Veronika Blaskova (WSU) defeats Frederike Puthoff (NU), 6-2, 6-1
5. Carla Venticinque (WSU) defeats Janine Weinreich (NU), 7-6 (4), 6-4
6. Jennifer Holmberg (NU) defeats Montse Blasco Fernandez (WSU), 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish
Singles (4, 3, 2, 1, 5, 6)
Doubles (3, 1, 2)