Huskers Toppled by Sooners
The Nebraska women’s tennis team picked up only their second loss of the season on Friday, falling to Oklahoma by a score of 6-1. The No. 29 Huskers (12-2, 0-1) would only capture one victory in No. 2 doubles against No. 19 Oklahoma (10-2, 2-0). The match was held at the 17thand Vine St. Courts in Lincoln, marking NU’s first outdoor home dual of the season.
Action kicked off at 2 p.m. with doubles play. No. 71 Madeleine Geibert and Stefanie Weinstein (NU) faced off against No. 62 Ana-Maria Constantinescu and Alice Radu (OU) at the No. 1 singles position. Geibert and Weinstein fell by a score of 8-7 (11).
Jennifer Holmberg and Janine Weinreich (NU) were defeated in No. 2 singles by Whitney Ritchie and Mia Lancaster (OU), 8-3. Doubles play was wrapped up with Marie-Pier Hunt and Tara Eckel (OU) capturing the victory at the No. 3 position over Patricia Veresova and Maike Zeppernick (NU), 8-3.
The match moved on to singles action with Oklahoma carrying a 1-0 lead over the Huskers. The Sooners didn’t stop there, capturing an additional five singles matches to clinch the win over the Big Red. At the No. 1 position, Geibert lost in a tight battle to No. 79 Constantinescu, 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (8). Weinstein also fell in a tiebreaker in No. 3 singles to No. 124 Ritchie, 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (9).
Oklahoma quickly wrapped up wins in the last three positions. Huet (OU) toppled Weinreich (NU) in No. 4 singles, 6-3, 6-4. Lancaster (OU) followed up with a win over Holmberg (NU), 6-3, 6-1 at the No. 5 spot. Zeppernick (NU) was final to fall for Nebraska, dropping the No. 6 position match to Maria Kalashnikova (OU), 6-2, 6-3.
Patricia Veresova (NU) captured Nebraska’s only win of the day, soundly defeating Alice Radu (OU), 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 2 spot.
The Huskers will be back in action on Sunday against Oklahoma State. The match is scheduled to begin at noon at either the Nebraska Tennis Center or the 17th & Vine St. Courts, depending on weather.
1. No. 62 Ana-Maria Constantinescu/Alice Radu (OU) def. No. 71 Madeleine Geibert/Stefanie Weinstein (NU), 8-7 (11)
2. Mia Lancaster/Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Jennifer Holmberg/Janine Weinreich (NU), 8-3
3. Marie-Pier Huet/Tara Eckel (OU) def. Patricia Veresova/Maike Zeppernick (NU), 8-3
1. No. 79 Ana-Maria Constantinescu (OU) def. Madeleine Geibert (NU), 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (8)
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Alice Radu (OU), 6-2, 6-3
3. No. 124 Whitney Ritchie (OU) def. Stefanie Weinstein (NU), 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (9)
4. Marie-Pier Huet (OU) def. Janine Weinreich (NU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Mia Lancaster (OU) def. Jennifer Holmberg (NU), 6-3, 6-1
6. Maria Kalashnikova (OU) def. Maike Zeppernick (NU), 6-2, 6-3