Huskers Swept by No. 9 Baylor
Waco, Texas—The Nebraska women’s tennis team fell by a score of 7-0 to Baylor on Friday. The No. 38 Huskers (16-4, 4-2 Big 12) were unable to capture a win at any position against the No. 9 Bears (16-3, 6-1 Big 12) and fall to 8-4 against ranked opponents this season.
The Bears took control quickly in doubles action, where Sona Novakova and Diana Nakic (BU) put away Frederike Putthoff and Jennifer Holmberg (NU) at the No. 3 position, 8-3. No. 1 doubles were next to finish, where Madeleine Geibert and Stefanie Weinstein (NU) were defeated by Nina Secerbegovic and Karolina Filipiak (BU), 8-2. Patricia Veresova and Janine Weinreich (NU) put up the tightest fight against the Bears at the No. 2 position, falling 8-6 to Taylor Ormond and Jelena Stanivuk (BU).
Baylor was given an additional point when Veresova defaulted to the No. 1 singles position to Novakova, allowing the Bears to secure an early 2-0 lead in the dual.
Baylor took advantage of the fast start and didn’t look back. Maike Zeppernick (NU) was first to be defeating, retiring to Filipiak (BU) in No. 5 singles. Weinreich (NU) was toppled by Stanivuk (BU) at the No. 4 position, 6-2, 6-3. Weinstein (NU) then fell at the hands of Nakic (BU) in No. 3 singles, 6-3, 6-3. Secerbegovic (BU) added another point for the Bears with her win over Geibert (NU), 6-0, 6-4.
Baylor made it a sweep when they wrapped things up in a close match at the No. 6 singles position. Abby Stianback (BU) edged by Holmberg (NU), 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-4) to put the final tally at 7-0 in favor of the Bears.
The Huskers will look to rebound this Sunday in Lubbock against No. 38 Texas Tech (15-4, 5-1 Big 12). The dual is slated to begin at 11 a.m. at the McLeod Tennis Complex.
1. Nina Secerbegovic/Karolina Filipiak (BU) def. Madeleine Geibert/Stefanie Weinstein (NU), 8-2
2. Taylor Ormond/Jelena Stanivuk (BU) def. Patricia Veresova/Janine Weinreich (NU), 8-6
3. Sona Novakova/Diana Nakic (BU) def. Frederike Putthoff/Jennifer Holmberg (NU), 8-3
1. No. 14 Sona Novakova (BU) def. Patricia Veresova (NU) by default
2. No. 36 Nina Secerbegovic (BU) def. Madeleine Geibert (NU), 6-0, 6-4
3. No. 38 Diana Nakic (BU) def. Stefanie Weinstein (NU), 6-3, 6-3
4. No. 103 Jelena Stanivuk (BU) def. Janine Weinreich (NU), 6-2, 6-3
5. No. 124 Karolina Filipiak (BU) def. Maike Zeppernick (NU), 5-0, retired
6. Abby Stainback (BU) def. Jennifer Holmberg (NU), 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-4)
Order of finish
Doubles (3, 1, 2)
Singles (5, 4, 3, 2, 6)