Huskers Sweep Buffaloes
Boulder, Colo.—Nebraska swept through singles play and picked up two doubles wins by default to clinch a 7-0 victory over Colorado on Wednesday. The No. 38 Huskers (18-6, 6-4 Big 12) were forced to forfeit the No. 1 doubles match due to travel considerations, but won all singles matches against Colorado (3-17, 0-10 Big 12) in straight sets.
The match began one hour earlier than originally scheduled due to inclement weather. The day kicked off with singles action on the South Campus Courts, where Maike Zeppernick (NU) posted the first win, defeating Kristina Barber (CU), 6-1, 6-0 at the No. 5 position.
Janine Weinreich (NU) rolled past Carla Manzi Tenorio (CU) next, picking up a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 3 singles. Madeleine Geibert (NU) increased Nebraska’s lead to 3-0 with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Kristina Schleich (CU) at the No. 1 spot. Jennifer Holmberg (NU) tacked on another victory for the Huskers at the No. 4 position, defeating Ania Anuszkiewicz (CU), 6-3, 6-2.
The Huskers picked up a win at the No. 6 singles position by default, as Colorado found themselves short-handed due to injuries. The Buffaloes were also forced to forfeit two doubles matches, putting the score at 7-0 in favor of Nebraska.
Nebraska will be at home this weekend for their final regular-season dual as members of the Big 12 Conference. NU will face Iowa State on the 17th and Vine St. Courts on Saturday at 1 p.m. Live stats will be available for the match at Huskers.com.
In case of inclement weather, the match will be played indoors at the Nebraska Tennis Center.
1. Manzi Tenorio/Abbie Probert (CU) def. Madeleine Geibert/Frederike Putthoff (NU), by default
2. Patricia Veresova/Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Ania Anuszkiewicz/Kristina Schleich (CU), by default
3. Jennifer Holmberg/Maike Zeppernick (NU), won by default
1. Madeleine Geibert (NU) def. Kristina Schleich (CU), 6-1, 6-1
2. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Abbie Probert (CU), 6-3, 6-2
3. Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Carla Manzi Tenorio (CU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Jennifer Holmberg (NU) def. Ania Anuszkiewicz (CU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Maike Zeppernick (NU) def. Kristina
Barber (CU), 6-1, 6-0
6. Frederike Putthoff (NU), won by default
Order of finish
Singles (5, 3, 1, 4, 2)