Evanston, Ill.-The No. 34 Nebraska women's tennis team (1-0) charged past No. 38 Boise State (2-1) Saturday, snagging victories in five of six singles matches en route to a 5-2 victory.
"The kids really fought hard," Assistant Coach Hayden Perez said. "We lost a very tough and emotional doubles point, but the kids put it behind them and played with a lot of heart in singles."
Mary Weatherholt and Patricia Veresova started NU off on the right foot, sweeping Morgan Basil and Elyse Edwards 8-0 at No. 2 doubles. The Huskers struggled in the remaining doubles matches, as Madeleine Geibert and Stefanie Weinstein fell at No. 1 singles. With the doubles point on the line, Jennifer Holmberg and Janine Weinreich were narrowly defeated by a score of 9-8 (6) by Stephanie Jasper and Sandy Vo.
Nebraska refused to let the losses steal their momentum and immediately took control of singles play by snagging three consecutive victories. Weatherholt led the way for NU, capturing the No. 1 singles win over Lauren Megale by a score of 6-1, 6-0. Holmberg then topped Vo at the No. 6 spot, 6-3, 6-1. Weinreich continued the streak at No. 5, defeating Elyse Edwards 6-3, 6-3. Boise State then notched their only singles victory at the No. 2 spot, as the Broncos' Sonia Klamczynska edged Geibert, 7-6, 5-3. The Huskers refused to slow down, however, as Patricia Veresova picked up a 7-6, 6-2 win over Stephanie Jasper at the No. 3 position to clinch the win for Nebraska. Weinstein then closed the deal in No. 4 singles with her 7-5, 6-4 victory over Marlena Pietzuch.
The Huskers will now advance to the championship match in their region, where they will challenge No. 20 Northwestern (1-2). The Wildcats ended Nebraska's postseason run last season when they defeated the Huskers in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. The match is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. on Sunday.
1. Mary Weatherholt (NU) def. Lauren Megale (BSU), 6-1, 6-1
2. Sonia Klamczynska (BSU) def. Madeleine Geibert (NU), 7-5, 6-3
3. Patricia Veresova (NU) def. Stephanie Jasper (BSU), 7-6, 6-2
4. Stefanie Weinstein (NU) def. Marlena Pietzuch (BSU), 7-5, 6-4
5. Janine Weinreich (NU) def. Elyse Edwards (BSU), 6-3, 6-3
6. Jennifer Holmberg (NU) def. Sandy Vo (BSU), 6-3, 6-1
1. Megale/PIetzuch (BSU) def. Geibert/Weinstein (NU), 8-4
2. Weatherholt/Veresova (NU) def. Basil/Edwards (BSU), 8-0
3. Jasper/Vo (BSU) def. Weinreich/Holmberg (NU), 9-8 (6)
Order of Finish
Singles (1, 6, 5, 2, 3*, 4)
Doubles (2, 1, 3*)