Montgomery, Ala.- The No. 38 Nebraska men tennis team (8-5) notched their first win of the consolation bracket at the Blue Gray Tennis Classic in Montgomery, Ala. on Saturday, March 16. The Huskers knocked off the Troy Trojans 4-1. Nebraska will face off against Columbia Sunday, March 17, at 8:30 A.M.
The Huskers began play forfeiting the doubles point to Troy after losses at the No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. The pair os Scott Elsass and Brandon Videtich were able to pull out a lone doubles victory against Troy's Tommy Cundy and Andre Stabile 8-4.
The Huskers faired well in singles play. They started singles with the first four wins to clinch the match. The first was at the No. 1 spot with Andre Stengers defeat of Troys Anas Rouchdi 6-4, 6-3. Next NU's Bradford Zitsch beat the Trojan's Patrick Eichler 6-3, 6-4. The third point for the Huskers came as Andrew Dzulynsky knocked off Troy's Andre Stabile 6-4, 6-3. The final victory was Tom Blackwell's over the Trojans Daniel Bustamante 6-2, 7-6.
Nebraska 4 Def. Troy 1
Blue Gray Tennis Classic
March 16, 2013
1. Andre Stenger (NEB) def. Anas Rouchdi (TROY) 6-4, 6-3
2. Mansingh Athare (TROY) vs. Marc Herrmann (NEB) 6-4, 1-6, 3-5, unfinished
3. Sami Ghorbel (TROY) vs. Dusty Boyer (NEB) 6-4, 4-6, 1-1, unfinished
4. Tom Blackwell(NEB) def. Daniel Bustamante (TROY) 6-2, 7-6
5. Andrew Dzulynsky(NEB) def. Andre Stabile (TROY) 6-4, 6-3
6. Bradford Zitsch (NEB) def. Patrick Eichler (TROY) 6-3, 6-4
1. Mansingh Athare/Sami Ghorbel (TROY) def. Andre Stenger/Marc Herrmann (NEB) 8-4
2. Patrick Eichler/Anas Rouchdi (TROY) def. Dusty Boyer/Bradford Zitsch (NEB) 9-8 (8-6)
3. Scott Elsass/Brandon Videtich (NEB) def. Tommy Cundy/Andre Stabile (TROY) 8-4
Results will be posted to Huskers.com or can be found on the tournament website at http://bluegraytennis.com.